Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Blog Post #4

The author build suspense in the book in a variety of ways. This can be seen when he is in the middle of his matches. He tells the score of each point, and goes on to be even more specific. He talks of each shot and how he felt hitting that shot. It expresses suspense because the feelings he shows and tells about are particular to each situation. For example, Nadal analyzes the point on page 138, "But I don't think, even now, that hitting it to his forehand would have been the right thing to do. Here's why: if I'd hit it there and he'd passed me, or he'd got the ball back and I'd missed, I'd have been devastated." This quote shows that Nadal paid attention to each point and therefore raised the suspense in the story. The way he did this was effective. It motivated me to keep asking the question, "What is going to happen next?" For this reason, I simply read on, and it proved to be a good decision.
 


This video shows the full match highlights of the Wimbledon 2008 Finals.

No comments:

Post a Comment