Thursday, April 3, 2014

Blog Post #4 (3rd Trimester)

Four days ago, I began a new book called The Lone Survivor. For now, I am not completely sure about what the book will be about, other than what is written on the back of the book. But from what I have gathered in the first seventy pages of the book, I predict the book will mostly describe the way Navy SEALs are recruited and selected into the program. As for where I am now, Marcus Luttrell really describes each and every scene well, using "Navy" language such as "Hooyah!", meaning "Yes, sir!". This really adds on to the tone and overall quality of the book because it gives the reader a sense of being in the book. The setting of the book, which is a SEAL training camp, cooperates with the overall meaning of each sentence in the book. The author, Marcus Luttrell, describes each and every scene well. For example, "We had lost ten men during the nine hours that had passed since Hell Week began; nine hours since those yelling, shooting gunmen had driven Class 226 out of their classroom, nine hours since we had been dry and felt more or less human." This sentence from the book really gives a feel for where the character was at this time. Marcus Luttrell uses repetition to embellish the text. He repeats "nine hours" at the beginning of each phrase to further add focus to the short time in which many events occurred.

1 comment:

  1. This book is fantastic! It's one of my favorite book of all time, mainly because it's about Navy SEALS (my mom's ex-husband was a in Marine Recon). Anyway, you're early in the book and I'm sure you've seen the movie but it's still always good to read the book. This is a quality post, good use of textual evidence.

    ReplyDelete