Yesterday, I met an old friend. I always knew that he had enlisted in the army, but I hadn't been able to talk to him about it. As we were playing tennis together, I suddenly thought of my book. I asked him what army school was like. He told me it was terrible and an absolute living hell, but it made you fit. I couldn't help thinking about the way Marcus Luttrell described BUD/S training. Luttrell states, when describing the showers in the Training Camp, that "They were showers, okay, but not in the accepted, civilized sense. They were a whole lot closer to a... carwash and were known as the decontamination unit" (Luttrell 83). Luttrell's description of a training camp is quite similar to that of my friend's. I asked my friend if his training was like the SEALs' training. He told me that what the SEALs go through is much harder than what he has to go through. He told me there are very stressful days where he goes also, and this also made me think of what Luttrell describes as "Hell Week". There are many similarities within the US Armed Forces, one harder than the other.This article describes SEAL training.
I like how you connected your real life experiences with what you're reading. Good job.
ReplyDelete