Monday, January 27, 2014

Blog Post #6

The best thing about my book is the vocabulary and imagery included in the text. In The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini describes each scene in vivid detail and descriptive vocabulary, giving the story a metaphorical meaning behind it. For example, when Amir is describing the way he feels about America, Hosseini creates a metaphor in the form of Amir's thoughts. "America was different. America was a river, roaring along, unmindful of the past. I could wade into this river, let my sins drown to the bottom, let the waters carry me someplace far. Someplace with no ghosts, no memories, and no sins." In this particular thought, Amir expresses his feelings of America as a form of a sanctuary, or a place where he can be free of his past memories. Amir feels that in America, his memories are washed away. He feels that in America, his past is something insignificant. Amir believes life in America is altogether a new one for him. This is all shown in metaphorical text by Hosseini, with the river being Amir's life washed away. The vocabulary and imagery really add to the overall meaning behind the story in The Kite Runner.

This article gives more insight into The Kite Runner.
 

1 comment:

  1. I have read this book and I agree that his vocabulary and imagery are spectacular. The book was very powerful and moving. I hope you enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete