In my current book, The Lone Survivor, I really like how the author describes each and every scene using various literary techniques. The author, Marcus Luttrell, uses connotation and denotation to display the feelings of the main character, himself. For example, when describing the difficulty of the knot in the test, "In my case, I decided to hastily that the knot in my line was impossible, gave them the signal, ditched my tanks over my shoulder, and floated up to the surface." This line from the text shows negative connotation, using the word "hastily". This gives a negative feeling because it gives the impression that he was rushing and didn't think through exactly what he was doing. Luttrell also uses the word "ditched" to emphasize how quickly he decided to leave the test. Instead of using a general word like "left", he used the word "ditched" to give the reader a feeling of how Marcus quit his test. The use of connotation gives the reader a sense of feeling in the book. This in turn adds to the reader's overall experience in reading the book. Luttrell uses this literary device because he wants to make his book more interesting, and he succeeded. The book makes you want to keep reading because it tells a fascinating story of a Navy SEAL and a difficult mission.
Last trimester, Mr. Whitney told our class about The Lone Survivor. He said after reading the book, he wanted to become a Navy SEAL. He recommended the book to the class and I was wondering how you found out about this book. By the way, great post.
ReplyDeleteI really liked this post. I enjoyed how you commented about the books literary techniques but you also used good techniques yourself
ReplyDeleteI like how you used terms we use in class, it really adds to your post.
ReplyDeleteI liked how you used connotation and denotation from the class. When I saw the first few minutes from the video, I understood that it was based on a real story. Before this I thought this was a fictional book.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI liked how you incoorperated connotation and dennotion from class into your blog. Also i liked the quote you gave, it had great connotation in it. Great analysis of the quote.
ReplyDelete