Monday, January 13, 2014

Blog Post #5

Just yesterday, I began the book The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini. The novel begins by taking place in the winter of 2001. It seems like the story will take place in the middle eastern country of Pakistan, although the story begins when the narrator is walking along Spreckles Lake in the Golden Gate Park. In the following excerpt from the novel, Hosseini shows his writing capabilities through imagery. "The early-afternoon sun sparkled on the water where dozens of miniature boats sailed, propelled by a crisp breeze. Then I glanced up and saw a pair of kites, red with long blue tails, soaring in the sky. They danced high above the trees on the west side of the park, over the windmills, floating side by side like a pair of eyes looking down on San Francisco, the city I now call home." This passage makes me think of a certain eutopia where the environment is perfect. I also like the way Hosseini used personification "...danced high above..." and "..like a pair of eyes looking down...". The personification allows for more description and imagery. This part of the first chapter thoroughly describes the setting of where the narrator is presently. This is shown by the vast amount of sight sensory details and figurative language.

This picture shows Golden Gate Park.

4 comments:

  1. I've heard about this book and how good it is. Isn't it about a Pakistani kid who moves to America when he is young and then goes back to the Middle East when he grows up? I would probably like to read this book in the future. It sounds like the author uses a lot of good imagery and descriptive language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of the book, but I didn't really know what it was about. I'm glad you told me. Although I don't think that I would like to read the book, because I prefer books with more action, it seems that the author uses loads of imagery to really enhance the books quality. Who knows, I might decide to read it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard about this book, but I didn't know much about it. I am very happy that you told me about this book, and I hope to read it later in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the authors writing style an this seems like a great book for me to read. I like books with a lot of imagery so that i can paint a picture in my head and I was definitely able to do that as I read the excerpt that you pulled out. I hope to be reading this soon, keeps us updated.

    ReplyDelete